|Community - Projects|
"The Time Machine" will be in A5 format so will be perfect for slipping in your bag, reading on the train etc. It will be full colour virtually throughout so expect lots and lots of glossy pictures. Projected price is £2.95 per issue. For the first year it will be quarterly with a view to going bimonthly thereafter.
Before it gets going, though, it needs contributors. And that’s where you come in.
The magazine is aimed at Steampunk fundamentally, but will encompass all aspects of what might be termed the "creative retro community". Our objective is to be as inclusive as possible.
Timescale: We would like to have the first issue ready for sale in May (and I would hope to bring some copies to the Steampunk Worlds Fair and the World Steam Expo in the US that month too.) This means we would like initial contributions towards the end of February and in any case no later than March 13th. We appreciate this is a very short deadline and if it becomes evident that we have no hope of hitting that we will push it back. Ideally though we would like to run for issue two being published at the end of August thus being available at The Asylum.
Contributions: At this point we are looking for:
- Expert makes: Blog-type articles on the construction of high-end steampunk items;
- Masterclass: Articles on a specific craft or art skill. (e.g. etching or paint patination);
- Event reports: On the spot reviews and reports from steampunk events and gatherings;
- Music and band features: Initially we are looking for more in the way of "meet the band and get to know them" type reports rather than straight reviews (there will be a separate review column);
- Feature Crew: There are a number of "airship crews" around the world. This is a chance to celebrate their creativity. Articles about a specific small group of friends and their overall look;
- Artisan features: A meet the maker feature showcasing their work. These may be commercial makers, artists or hobbyists;
- "Wow this place is great". Articles on sites which are of specific interest to steampunks;
- The Time Machine visits: features on other aspects of retro futurism and retro socialising.
- Since this is a glossy, full colour magazine we would like photographs to support the above articles.
We are also looking for:
- Steampunk Online: Articles about sites we like to visit on the aetherweb;
- Forthcoming book, music and film reviews. (We will be securing review copies and supplying them to selected writers) Submissions for review are very welcome;
- Serious essays. Philosophical or sociological articles on the community and where it is going;
- Poetry. (We would like to feature one or two an issue);
- A cartoon strip or single frame cartoons.
- We will consider fiction but envisage this is more likely the province of Steampunk Tales or anthologies that we are supporting such as "Tales from the Asylum."
There will of course be diary features letting people know of future events and functions, other fun features that will be revealed in issue one and editorial.
Naturally we will be carrying advertising. Our projected advertising rate is from just £45 for a quarter page, £80 half page and £150 full page. This is incredibly affordable and reflects our ideals to be a quality magazine not a commercial cash cow. Advertisers will also get a number of complementary copies they can distribute or even sell on if they wish.
We prefer contributions in Word format at present. Photos as JPEGs. Advertisers will need to supply their finished artwork.
Whilst this may seem an ambitious project steampunk is about creativity. We have also shown with the VSS that simple determination to make something happen coupled with creativity means that things do get done.
Let us hope this is but the start of a "Grand Adventure".
Please email direct to majortinker at aol dot com rather than replying here.